Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Basic Pancakes

A good, basic scratch batter. You can kick it up by replacing the oil with applesauce and adding a half teaspoon of cinnamon and a finely chopped apple, or make blueberry pancakes by adding a cup of blueberries, or- use your imagination!

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups milk
2 Tablespoons oil

Preheat your griddle, skillet or frying pan. (I use a flat griddle- one that lays across 2 burners on the electric stove, or a 10 inch skillet, and I turn the stove to setting "3" or "4" out of 10.)

In a medium sized mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a small mixing bowl, beat together egg, milk and oil.

Gently mix the milk mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir just to combine. Mixture may be a little lumpy, and that's alright.

Lightly grease the griddle/ skillet and spoon batter onto hot cooking surface. (I use a gravy ladle for spooning the batter, at about 1/4 cup batter per pancake)

Cook on first side until bubbles form on the uncooked surface of the pancake and the top gets dull looking, and loses it's shine. Then flip pancakes over and cook until the second side is brown. (just give them about 3 minutes , then check the bottom by flipping one over to see how brown it is getting.)

Serve hot with butter/ margarine and syrup or jam.

Makes about 12 - 4 inch pancakes.

1 comment:

  1. I have TOTALLY been thinking I need a scratch pancake recipe!!! I don't feel like a very good mom which I bring out Aunt Jermimah on SAturday mornings... All my "older" mom friends talk about thieir homemade pancakes, and I hang my head in shame :( Maybe I've never looked hard, because I just don't like pancakes - unless they have chocolate chips :)

    ReplyDelete