Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Fresh Fruit Flan Trifle

Probably every time I'm at my Mom and Dad's I've had opportunity to help make dessert, and every time I think of this treasure. I always check this website, and I always find that although I've been meaning to post it, I haven't done so. Finally, here it is.

The cake for the flan started life as "Almond Roll with Fresh Cherries" in the "Simply Splenda Cookbook" put out by my hero, Graham Kerr, back in 2004. This little cookbook has served as a "springboard" for many great cooking, baking and preserving ideas. I hesitate to confess that I've tweaked a Graham Kerr recipe, but honesty compels me to tell you where the original recipe came from. I wanted to add a little fibre, and I reduced the amount of Splenda. The technique is all Kerr, and the resultant sponge is a wonderfully versatile little cake.

For a Fruit Flan "Trifle" I bake the cake in my 10" tart/ flan pan. I've also baked it in a 9 X 13 inch pan to cut into squares for a real trifle, and divided the batter into 2- 8 inch round pans for a shortcake. I haven't tried it as a jelly roll, but I believe it would work really well for that too.

Cake:
4 large eggs
4 Tablespoons sugar (divided)
1 Tablespoon olive or vegetable/ Canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup Splenda, artificial sweetener
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

Divide the eggs as follows:

In large mixing bowl place 1 whole egg + yolk of 2nd egg.

In another mixing bowl place whites of 3 eggs, reserving the 2 extra yolks for the custard.

Whip the 3 egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar. Beat until soft peaks form. Add 2 Tablespoons of the sugar and continue to beat until stiff, but not dry. Set aside.

To the whole egg and egg yolk, add the remaining 2 Tablespoons of sugar, the oil and the vanilla. Beat until ribbons form when you lift the beater, (about 5 minutes).

In a 3rd bowl, combine flour, wheat germ, baking powder, salt and Splenda. Fold into the egg yolk mixture.

Fold the beaten egg whites into the batter. Pour into well greased 10" flan pan. Bake at 350* for 12-15 minutes, until golden.

When cake is cooled, loosen edges of pan and invert onto serving plate. Fill with custard, then top with sliced/diced fresh fruit that has been tossed with a little sugar or Splenda (either one kind, like strawberries or peaches, or a variety of fruit in a pleasing arrangement) and low fat whipped topping. Well drained canned fruit could be used if fresh fruit is not available.

Custard:
1/2 cup Splenda, artificial sweetener
3 Tablespoons corn starch
2 cups skim milk
2 egg yolks in a bowl, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla

In medium sized saucepan, combine Splenda and cornstarch. Gradually add milk, whisking to blend.

Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture thickens and boils. Cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.

Whisk small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. (use a small measuring cup or a soup ladle to transfer the hot milk) Immediately pour heated egg yolks back into the pot with the hot milk mixture. Whisk egg yolks in, until well blended.

Return pot to heat, cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add vanilla.

Stir occasionally while pudding cools to prevent skin from forming on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment