Saturday, May 07, 2011

Lemon Poppyseed Muffins

I went searching for a poppyseed muffin recipe, but couldn't find any that matched the vision in my head; I envisioned something lemony with a lemon-sugar glaze, like my favourite, old-fashioned lemon loaf. When I stumbled upon "Lemonade Muffins" in the Better Homes And Gardens "Homemade Bread Cook Book" from 1973, I knew I had found what I was looking for. I adjusted the ingredients just enough to add poppyseed and remove walnuts, and to make 18 muffins instead of 12. Very quick to assemble and a delightful addition to any tea party, I hope you'll try them. If you like lemon and poppyseed, you'll like these.

3/4 cup frozen lemonade, thawed
1/3 cup milk
3 Tablespoons poppyseed
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs, well beaten
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Combine lemonade, milk and poppyseed in a small bowl. Let stand.

Thoroughly combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center.

Add egg and oil to lemonade mixture. Pour into well in dry ingredients and stir just to moisten.

Divide batter into 18 greased or paper lined muffin cups. Bake at 400*F for about 20 minutes. Remove from pans, and brush tops with additional thawed frozen lemonade concentrate then sprinkle generously with granulated sugar.

Makes 18 muffins.

NOTE: A can of frozen lemonade made 2 1/2 dozen muffins with a good amount left over for brushing the tops. To do the extra 1 dozen, follow directions using 1/4 cup milk, 1/2 cup lemonade, 2 Tablespoons poppyseed, 1/3 cup oil, 1 egg, 1 3/4 cups flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 3/4 cup salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment