Thursday, November 29, 2007

Golden Corn Cake

In the summer of 1990 my Grandma Brown was on her way to visit my Uncle and his family in Toronto. She made a pit stop in Winnipeg for a day, and we had a good time catching up. While she was there, I asked if she could remember a good recipe for corn cake- or "Johnny Cake", as my Mom used to call it. I thought- I grew up with this because my Mom grew up with it, so who better to ask then my Mom's Mom?! Grandma asked if I had anything to start with, and I pulled out my Fanny Farmer Boston Cooking School Cookbook. She quickly fingered this recipe, making a few changes, ("I'd made that a cup instead of 3/4, and that a cup instead of 1 1/4...") and we were golden. Cake that is. Golden Corn Cake.

This is the best eaten warm with butter and golden syrup. At Bible College they used to serve it with pancake syrup, and I learned to like it with peanut butter and pancake syrup. Diabetically speaking, it's very good with a low sugar jam, (I like strawberry with this) but if you like the E.D.Smith No-Sugar-Added syrup you might give it a try with peanut butter and syrup.


1 cup yellow corn meal
1 cup all-purpose flour (I substitute whole wheat flour for added fibre)
1/4 cup sugar or artificial Sweetener
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoos salt
1 cup milk (you might need to add an extra tablespoon or two if you use whole wheat flour)
1 egg, well beaten
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 375*F. Mix dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl. Add milk, egg and oil. Stir just until mixed. Spread in greased 9" pan / 1.8 L baking dish for 15- 20 minutes, until top is golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. Butter adds taste to the golden corn cake recipe.

    ReplyDelete